Thursday, October 4, 2007

Week 9 - Summary of The 23 Things

I thought that this program was excellent. I enjoyed the process and am grateful that HCPL offered it to me. I believe that each person should be a lifelong learner and this program helped me with this never ending goal. "Never ending" in a good sense, of course! Each lesson was well organized and easy to complete. I did struggle with a few but that is to be expected. Learning isn't always easy and making mistakes is to be expected.

I would certainly participate in another discovery program if it was offered.

My favorite exercises involved Library Thing and online generators. I was surprised by how much fun the online generators were. I have seen some people do very creative things with images and wondered how they did it. I learned to add cloud bubbles to an existing picture to add a bit of humor. Library Thing is probably the one thing that I will continue to use. I plan to add ALL of my read books into my profile. What a wonderful tool!

The only thing that I can suggest to do differently, is to let the learner know at the beginning of each lesson if a new account is required in order to complete the lesson. Even the notice that "you will be required to set up an new account to complete this lesson" would be helpful. Sometimes it was confusing as to whether I was supposed to just browse a site or if I was expected to log in and create a new account.

I would describe my learning experience as positive. It was time consuming and I did almost all of the work in my off time as did many of my coworkers. Although I heard some grumblings about that, I don't have a problem with it. I think that learning and gaining knowledge to be a better employee doesn't stop when the 5:00 PM whistle blows.

Once again, I thank HCPL for giving me this opportunity.




No comments: