Thursday, June 28, 2007

Week 1 continued - 7 1/2 habits

I'm supposed to comment on which of these habits will be the hardest/easiest for me. The easiest is to accept responsibility for my own learning. I was an elementary teacher from 1989-1996. I earned an English Lit degree in 1984, but I had to go back to school to get my teacher certification. More recently, I went back to school again from 2001-2004 to get my MLIS. I believe that people should continually try to improve themselves through education in the classroom or through other venues. Each person has a responsibility to herself/himself to engage in lifelong learning. It benefits the individual as well as society.

The hardest thing is to view problems as challenges. Problems are problems. I don't understand the need to sugar coat them, put a positive spin on them, etc. I call them lots of things -- most of which I can't say here -- but I don't call them challenges. I really dislike the whole "let's rename things so they don't sound as bad" trend. This is why I don't read self help books. It's not that I don't need help, it's just that those type of cutesy sayings annoy me. For example, "don't sweat the small stuff." Hello! It's the small stuff that drives all of us up the wall because there's no end to it. Chekov said, "Any idiot can handle a crisis—it's this day-to-day living that wears you out." Exactly! I bet the small stuff made him sweat too.

No comments: